Saturday, November 19, 2011

The continued saga... Spinal Cord Injury and more.

Before I got sick, I was a full time worker.  I supported my family.  I worked as the Plant Manager at Olympic Presort in Bremerton/Silverdale for over 10 years.  After I fell in November prior to surgery, I had to stop working.  That day for November 22, 2010.  So after my surgery my goal was to get back to work as soon as I could.  I was going to physical therapy and trying to get my left hand working again and strengthening my left leg. I was out of the walker and using a cane for safety. My plan was to start slowly going back part time as soon as my strength would allow it.  I was going crazy at home.  Bored out of my mind, I was pushing myself to get strong.  I still had my headache that never went away, even after the surgery. But, with medication, it was tolerable. Finally in March 2011, I started going into work for a maximum of 4 hours per day.  The first days were rough and I barely lasted 2 hours.  Eventually after a couple of weeks I was able to work my four hours daily. 

My pain was tolerable and I was getting better.


Then one day... I started feeling a tingling in my right hand.

Then my neck pain started getting worse, and my head pain increased as well.  I was put of loads of pain medication, which of course meant I could no longer drive.

I was getting very nervous as I had been down this road before.  The last thing I would want is to bear through another surgery.  But of course, I called my Neurosurgeon and he ordered another MRI.  The MRI showed that my spinal cord where it had been compressed was now enlarged.  We tried shocking the spinal cord with steroids - which did nothing.  Then I was told to wait 3 more months and do another MRI to see if there were any changes.  The results were the same.  Theories from the Neurosurgeon were that after decompression my spinal cord was overwhelmed with a rush of blood.  This would of been normal if it happened right after surgery.  But in my case, it was a delayed rush of blood - by about 5 months after surgery.  It sounded weird when the doctor said it, and I wasn't convinced from the way he told us that he actually believed it.  I was assured that it was not dangerous and that there was nothing surgically that needed to be done at this point.  For that I was relieved.  As far as he was concerned, the surgery was a success in that it prevented paralysis. 

So now I was not working again.  Which is still the same to this very day. 

I then was referred to the most wonderful doctor I have ever had.  My Physiatrist, Dr Donna Moore.
She knew exactly what was happening with my nerves and could spell out my symptoms perfectly. 

That is when I discovered that while I was weak on the left side, I was desensitized on my right.  I found this out the hard way when I woke up one morning and Abby screamed out that I was bleeding on my right side.  Evidently I fell sometime in the middle of the night, which I do not have any memory of, and gashed my right side of my torso.  I did not feel it at all.  I had no pain whatsoever from the wound.

So now I am on loads of medications to prevent pain and spasms.

I had a huge fight with Pneumonia for which I finally ended up in the hospital for 4 days after 3 rounds of antibiotics. I am told that it is all connected to my condition of Klippel-Feil Syndrome.

So after I stopped working, I applied for Social Security disability as I could no longer support our family.
 I have been denied twice now.  Now we have an attorney and filed an appeal in late July.  For this appeal I will have a hearing with a judge.  However this is not some quick process of making an appointment for the hearing.  My attorney informed me that the hearings are being scheduled by the court and they are running about 10 months out.  I could not believe that it was going to take that long. 

I stopped working full time on November 22, 2010. 

I was notified by my attorney this week that my hearing is scheduled for April 30, 2012.   It will have been 17 months by the time I have the hearing. 

So now I have been supported by my wonderful church through 2 love offerings, and some support from my family as well.  It has been a real test of faith for sure.  But I know that God provides.  He always has.

For that I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment